Today, I’ve got a great Spanish learning tip for you.
As a Spanish learner, one of your top frustrations is likely to be this: Not being able to understand Spanish.
Even basic phrases and words can be tough. As a language learner myself, I know how discouraging that is.
SEE ALSO: Maria Fernandez’s free Spanish lessons
How to understand Spanish: my best tip
You’ve put hours and hours into your Spanish, but you just can’t understand it.
How can you get your brain to work out what people are saying?
Here’s the trick I used when I was learning English:
Always listen to the recordings in your course BEFORE looking at their transcript.
This very simple trick will help you develop your listening skills really fast.
When you first play a lesson recording, you won’t be able to understand almost anything. That’s OK. Persevere, and you’ll soon notice a huge improvement.
How to understand Spanish: a fun exercise
To show you how you can do it, try the following exercise with this free Spanish conversation from my Spanish online course.
Think of it as a mind-tickling challenge. Here’s the best way to do it:
- First, play the conversation without looking at its transcript.
- Listen carefully, and don’t worry if you can’t follow it.
- Play it again a few times. Notice how words slowly become a little bit clearer.
- Try repeating some of the words you can catch.
- Play the conversation again, and try saying some words one more time.
- Now, read the conversation transcript.
- Finally, play the conversation again. Notice how you can now understand it a lot better.
With this easy exercise, you’ll notice an improvement within a couple of days.
Over the next few weeks, go through the other conversations in my Spanish online course. You’ll skyrocket your Spanish listening skills within a month!